Sunday, August 24, 2014

Algebra - Session 2

One day Chutki came running to Bheem. She was exhausted and breathing heavily.

A surprised Bheem said " Hey Chutki what happened, why are you running ?"
Chutki said "Oh Bheem I have made a huge mistake. My mother told me to prepare the ladoo mixture today . I mixed flour and sugar together and now I forgot how much sugar did I add. I had 10 kg of flour and mom told to add only 5 kg of sugar to it. I know you are intelligent. Please help me here else I will be beaten up by mom".

Bheem smiled and said, "Chutki calm down. Let us analyze the problem. Tell me what is the total weight of the flour and sugar mixture now"

Chutki told "Wait , let me measure...oh it is 14 Kg"

Bheem then took a board and started writing on it

Weight of flour = 10 Kg ( Chutki knew this)
Total weight of the mixture = 14 Kg( Chutki also knew this)
Weight of sugar = x Kg( this is the variable which is not known)

So, we can write

weight of flour + weight of sugar = 14 Kg
10 + x = 14

In the above equation, to know the value of x, we will need to get rid of 10. How do we do it? We just substract it from 10 to make it zero as below

10 + x -10 = x

but we will need to do the same thing to the right side of the equation as well. So we will need to substract 10 from 14 as well. It therefore will look like

10 + x -10 = 14-10
x + 0 = 4
x = 4

So, Chutki added 4 kg of Sugar, she will need to add 1 more to make the mixture

Finding out the solution, Chutki was very happy. She thanked Bheem and ran home to prepare the ladoos.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment